Monday, July 16, 2007

A Fishie, Fishie Tale











Greeting from AK! All is well here, actually we had a very fishie day last week. We went to Valdez on our days off and took a cruise out into the Sound on the LuLuBelle. It is a 40 passenger boat that has gone out into the Sound on tours everyday in the summer since 1979 with the same captain. He talked the entire 8 hour tour! Very nice, we saw sea otters, sea lions, humpback whales, dall porpoises and glaciers. It was a very fun time. Met some fun folks from Victoria and had a great day.




The next day we went Pink Salmon fishing in the back bay of Prince William Sound. They are a smaller fish than the kings, but there are lots of them in the Sound right now as they are running to spawn. The Pinks were jumping out of the water like crazy and we couldn't figure out why they were doing that, as they were feeding below the surface. I joked to Barry that I thought they were doing it because they were itchy from the sea lice they had on them from being in the ocean. Lo and behold we talked with someone that knew and that is exactly why they are jumping, to get rid of the lice, also to smack their sides on the surface of the water to make their eggs and sperm easier for spawning. (Would that be like going on a bumpy road when you are over due pregnant???) Anyway, we fished the Sound on Thurs. morning then came back to Glennallen, about 117 miles. We got set back up in our spot in the RV park and a friend of ours who is a fishing guide on the Gulkana River came by to tell us that the Kings were really hot that day. Sooo, about 8:30 that night we went King fishing. Oh my God, what a time that was. We both landed King Salmon on our flyrods! Barry caught about a 30 lb. king on his 8 wt. It was so much fun. Barry caught 3 and I caught 2. I was totally exhausted after two! I had to sit down, rest and have a cigar, as did Barry! (See photo above..I haven't figured out how to put the photos where I want them yet!) We were back in the trailer by 1AM and had landed 5 kings. We let them go, as if you keep one your limit is one. Much more fun catching them! This time of year here is like zuccini season is WY, everyone has more salmon than they want so they are always trying to give you some! Barry isn't a huge fan of LOTS of salmon, and I don't reallly want to eat it 3 or 4 times a week, so all is well! We didn't catch them on flies, we used roe, but all the same it was extremely fun! By the time I had my second one landed, I was totally exhausted from the fight (about 25 minutes) and the adrenalin rush. It was truly an experience of a life time. Neither of us had ever caught a fish near that big. I used the guide's 10 wt as the reel on my 8 wt. had a malfunction, but all the same it was great. I landed my first one on a spinning outfit and the second one on the fly rod. Anyway, it was super! OK, now I have to go take a nap just from talking about it!
We had some horrible news this week. A young man that was Rod's best friend until they were about 10 years old, took his life last week. So, so tragic. They live in Georgia. I am so sad, as he was like one of my kids those years when the boys played together every day. You just never know what tomorrow is going to bring.
OK, I'm outta here, I have to vacuum up the dog hair...imagine that. Later

No comments: